An Angel in the Kitchen is a real food and family recipe blog.
A place to be able to find our recipes again & remember how we made stuff!

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Violet Honey Syrup

Violets are one of my most beloved flowers.
I adore their fragrance, their beauty & their capacity to heal.
I have learnt to make a magical potion this winter- violet honey syrup.
It tastes delicious & it is also very helpful for coughs & sore throats. 
Such simple little fragrant flowers that come in many colours & forms.
A basket-full of violets smells like heaven, to me.
I was very glad to come across the recipe for violet honey paste a month or so ago when Rob had a cough that woke him through the night. 
 I made the paste just as was described & have now made it again & again & each time tweeked the recipe a little more.
I have discovered that these delightful Parma violets are the easiest to pick & the most fragrant of all.
I got the best results by using my simple old "whizz stick".
Each batch has been a little different but in the end I have decided that simple is best:

1 cup of packed violets
1 cup of clover honey, or other light coloured honey. Raw & local is even better.
juice of a large lemon
Blend all together until smooth
Pour in to a clean jar & store in the freezer.
Enjoy a spoon full at a time for coughs & tickly throats or just because its delicious.





Yummy on porridge.
And amazing in this simple little violet honey & guava mousse.
After making some guava jelly in early winter I pushed the fruit through a sieve, sweetened the pulp & popped a bag or two in to the freezer. 
To make the mousse I added a tbsp or so of the violet honey in to the defrosted guava pulp,
stirred in some cream & thick, creamy Greek yoghurt, soaked 2 tsps of gelatine in a little water for 5 minutes, dissolved the gelatine over gentle heat- stirred it in to the guava mixture & popped it in the fridge to set. That simple!
You can also find the violet syrup & cheesecake recipe here.
And the violet jelly & other cheesecake here.
Katie xx

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing.I love your Blogs-very heartwarming .

    ReplyDelete

Ooh you are so kind to leave a comment ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails