An Angel in the Kitchen is a real food and family recipe blog.
A place to be able to find our recipes again & remember how we made stuff!

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Mountain Pawpaws- what ever do I do with them?

When I was a child my grandparents lived in Frasertown Wairoa, for a bit & as I grew older I loved helping Nan in the kitchen & writing out her recipes- for hours on end. We would make a dessert called Fruit Delight with all kinds of cooked fruits- Mountain Pawpaw was a favourite They are pretty odd raw- we would eat the pulpy stuff from the middle (as kids do) but if you can be bothered
 peeling the ripe yellow outer fruit & cooking them gently, they suddenly become delicious.

Best with a little sugar added & even a squeeze of lemon juice.
It turns out that they are delicious with strawberries too. Just add yoghurt or cream.
Nan's Fruit Delight recipe is just here, if you fancy having a go at that. I'm just waiting to end up with enough ripe fruit to make it. It's been a long, long time since I last tasted it.
Katie X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh you are so kind to leave a comment ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails